Here is another popular trick that everyone loves - Shake Hands!
When you do try this trick, be mindful of how long your dog’s legs are as not all dogs can raise their paws high. Play around with the position of your hand until you find a comfortable angle for your dog.
And once you master Shake Hands, you can move onto Hi 5, Hi 10, left paw, right paw, wave, fan the flames and more.
So let’s teach your dog to Shake Hands.
- Start with your dog in a SIT position
- With a treat in your hand, show your dog the treat and hold it just out of reach and wait for it to lift one front paw off the ground
- As soon as you see the paw lift, bridge (click) and treat
- Now present the hand again only this time wait for the paw to come up a bit higher and again, bridge and treat
- Repeat this process a few times until you see the paw come up quicker and quicker
- Now present your hand again only this time wait a bit longer and as soon as your dog paws at your hand, bridge and treat
- Now repeat this process a few more times until it is consistent
- Now you can start adding in the word Shake Hands when you present your hand in a shake manner.